Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Move over Mr Bond, Jason Bourne is here

I guess it was way back in 2000-2001 when i met Jason Bourne in Identity. I have to say here that I am not much a fan of books like the Day of the Jackal and stuff and hence had kept away from the Bourne trilogy as well. Just as well because otherwise I wouldn't be marvelling at the best fictitious super killer (that doesn't quiet say it!!) ever created. Jason Bourne is the greatest, he makes James Bond and his cotorie look like school kids (no offence intended to my 3-4 ft brethren). There are very few roles in cinematic history that you can say an actor was born to play. For instance Tom Hanks was born to play Forrest Gump, Roberto Benigni was born to play Guido in Life is Beautiful and Matt Damon was born to play Jason Bourne. Such is his impact that when I can home after watching Ultimatum I couldn't understand where Damon ended and where Bourne tookover. The supporting cast is great especially the two ladies Stiles and Allen but Damon is a one man army. The reason why I liked him so much was because he is cool without trying to be cool. No snappy witty one liners no weird poses with the gun no heavy gadgetry, just good old fashioned common sense and of course his razor sharp brains. As Pamela Landy says " We are already 9 hrs behind every other agent we've ever tracked". In Identity there is a scene in the cafe when he says " I know the registration numbers of all the six cars parked outside, I know the man sitting over there weighs 215 pounds and can handle himself, i know how many of the waitresses here are left handed, I know the best place to find a gun in this place is the back of that truck parked outside and I know that even at this altitude I can run flat out for half a mile before my hands start to shake." He is not proud of these things, he just knows and he has been trained to use this info if needed. There is a scene towards the end when he enters the CIA office. The scene is so cool that though I had already seen parts of it in the trailor i was still amazed and was automatically clapping along with my fellow watchers in the theatre. Not once does Bourne try to prove that he has outsmarted his chasers. He moves with the sole knowledge that it would take just one mistake from him to finish him off, a mistake that of course never comes. Another thing about him that I loved was the minimal use of fists. He avoids any direct action as much as possible. The scene where he calls the police in Berlin telling them that he has seen a few suspicious Americans and then fires some shots in the air was so hilarious and yet of such genius that you can't help marvelling. I hope Ludlum writes another prequel book as to what training did he have to go through to go from David Webb to Jason Bourne. At the end when u see Nicky Parsons smile light up the screen you know for sure that no matter what happens it is impossible to catch this man. The Bourne series has had two wonderful directors, Doug Liman and Paul Greengrass. It's amazing how two very different styles of filmmaking can yield such consistent results. Of course Identity had the best fistfights but Supremacy and Ultimatum had chase scenes worth dying for the difference between a steady camera and hand held camera. The highlight of the series for me was at the end of Supremacy when Bourne is watching Landy from the rooftop and tells her," Take some rest Ma'm, you look tired". There is just one way of putting this; move over Don, because it should be "Bourne ko pakadna mushkil hi nahi, namumkin hai"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home